What'cha looking for?
CONTAINERS is a collection of new work by The Weaving Mill.
It contains drawings, paintings, fabric, and text that consider the following questions:
– Where do you start?
– Where do you stop?
– When does scale begin to matter?
– What are your tools and what are the terms?
– Who’s looking for what?
In addition to those questions, it also considers the following subjects:
– Permutation, animation and sequence
– Gradations versus constants
– Polar opposites
– Editing, removal and refinement
– Surface and depth
– Discrete layers
– Balance and rhythm
– Visibility of process
In addition to those subjects, it also considers the following issues:
– End to end warps and how to use them
– Complementary colors and how to work with them
– Moving from drawing to fabric and back again
– Sleazy fabric and how to avoid it
– Chromatic grays and how to weave them
– Speed, quantity and resources
– The loom as a drawing device
– The loom as an edition producing device
– Gimmicks and how to avoid them
This talk will try to address these questions and more. Hope to see you there!
Image via FLOORPLAN, a film by Julia Dratel, 2016. Commissioned by The Weaving Mill as part of Floorplans, Models, Souvenirs: new work by The Weaving Mill.